Broiled Zucchini w/ a dollop of RAITA: summer wrapped up in a bite!
Broiled Zuchinni w/ a Raita drizzle
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup peeled and shredded cucumber
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted cumin powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, washed and finely chopped
- Heat broiler. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange zucchini in a single layer, cut side up. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil until zucchini are deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Peel and shred cucumber, then sprinkle cucumber shreds with a little bit of salt and let sit 5 minutes. This lets the water seperate from the cucumber so that excess water can be easily be squeezed out so that when added to yogurt it doesn’t water down the yogurt.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, cucumber, mint, salt, black salt and toasted cumin powder.
- Transfer zucchini to a serving platter, drizzle with raita, and sprinkle with cilantro.
- In place of the yogurt you could try using a hummus or tahini based sauce….that’s made a little more loose (like yogurt) rather than thick (like dip)….haven’t tried it, but would love to hear if you do!
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
- Totally gluten free!
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- In general, it’s best not to eat yogurt in the evenings, especially when it’s cold out…so save this recipe for hot summer days.
- Kapha body types could try using goat milk yogurt rather than cow based yogurt.
- Pitta body types should LOVE this dish….both the yogurt and mint are very cooling for the body.
- Vata body types could add toasted almonds to give it a little bit more grounding.