It’s June already….the bees are buzzing, the birds are chirping…and the fresh produce is looking mouth-wateringly good :).
Did you plant a garden this year? Is there a Farmer’s Market near you?
Well, right about now, I really miss the bay area more than usual….I got really spoiled with the AMAZING produce you can access there. Not to mention my fresh herb garden (my basil use to grow into a bush!) and our abundant asian pear tree that we could make the best jams out of…and our compost pile that produced “black gold”…and a few potatoes :).
The Northern Virginia area is plentiful in its own way, but just different :). Here it seems like I’m enjoying the abundance of trees and flowers…as the rains seem to make everything so vividly colorful.
One of my favorite things in the summer are tomatoes…and as we head into summer and the tomatoes and avocados are ripe and delicious, CTA Toast (Cottage Cheese, Tomato & Avocado) makes a great breakfast. It’s especially nice because it takes less then 5 minutes to make…and it’s fresh, high in protein, and of course, delicious…so ENJOY!
- 2 slices of your favorite bread (I use Schar GF Multi-grain, but for my hubby I like buying different fresh loaves that I can cut myself).
- 4 tbsp cottage cheese
- 4 thin slices of tomatoes
- ½ avocado, cut in half, de-pitted and then sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Toast bread to your liking.
- Spread 2 tbsp of cottage cheese on each slice of bread
- Then place ¼ of avocado slices on each piece of bread, followed by 2 slices of tomato.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to your taste.
Vegan: Replace cottage cheese with vegan cream cheese or hummus
Yogic Cooking Notes:
Since it's summer and tomatoes have a tendency to aggravate pitta people, you might want to reduce or eliminate the tomatoes from this recipe.