I learned how to make these little gems in college from one of my work study supervisors. They melt in your mouth, look beautiful and taste delish.
The cookie part is like shortbread with a hint of pistachio…and the chocolate (of course) compliments it deliciously…I personally like dark chocolate as it helps make it less sugary.
I made them gluten free for the first time this weekend and they turned out awesome…the texture was right on because they actually retained their shortbread-melt-in-your-mouth feeling…really excited and happy about this outcome.
- Cookie Ingredients:
- ⅓ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ tsp Almond Extract
- 3 ½ oz. package Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix (by the jell-o..it’s gelatin free)
- 1 Egg Replacer Egg
- 1 teaspoon Sour cream
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (1 cup Oat Flour + 1 cup Four Bean Flour)
- Thumbprint Filling Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract, pudding mix, egg replacer egg and sour cream.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Shape into 1” balls and place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Make thumb imprint in center of each cookie (make sure not to press all the way through the dough).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes if you used regular flour and if you used the gluten free flour mix, bake for 12-14 minutes. (you don’t want the edges to brown).
- Once the cookies have cooled, then make the filling; place chips in double boiler over gently simmering (not boiling) water. Stir chips constantly until melted. Then spoon small amounts of melted chocolate onto each cookie, filling the “dent” made by your thumb.
Vegan Notes: Use Earth Balance or Coconut Oil instead of butter, and omit sour cream. The pudding mix is dairy free.
Gluten Free Notes: Replace the All Purpose Wheat Flour with 1 cup Oat Flour + 1 Cup Four Bean Flour Mix.
Yogic Cooking/ Ayurvedic Notes: This is just one of those holiday recipes that's a splurge when it comes to our diets; so just enjoy.
Also, for those of you wondering…surprisingly enough, the “Jell-o Pistachio Pudding” is gelatin free, so it’s vegetarian friendly. They’re perfect for around the holidays.