Quinoa and Black Bean CAKES.
These are similar to the RICE PATTIES that I LOVE….but a little different :). These little cakes are great to eat with a side of veggies, salad or soup…as an alternative for a veggie burger patty or just by themselves. They cook nicely so they’re great for taking on road the road….and are always nice for BBQ’s and picnics :).
They are slightly Greek in flavor because of the dill and feta so pairing it with a Greek salad, roasted veggies or a lentil stew will taste delish! We had ours with Broiled Zuchinni w/ Raita…which turned out to be a pretty tasty combination!
Quinoa and Black Bean CAKES (4 ppl)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups black beans cooked (canned beans work great)
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño, finely grated
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup feta
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoon salt (salt to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon asafeteida
DIRECTIONS for cooking
- In a large bowl, place garbanzo bean flour, yogurt and water, and beat until smooth.
- Add turmeric, smoked paprika, asafetida and salt, then mix until combined.
- Then, add fresh spinach and dill and mix again.
- Add cooked quinoa and black beans and mix again thoroughly….somewhat mashing it in the process.
- Place a non-stick, medium size skillet on medium heat and place 1 teaspoon of oil on pan.
- When oil is heated, place 1/2 cup mixture on skillet, flatten out patty a little, if necessary.
- BE PATIENT and allow to cook 3-4 minutes on each side. I like to wiggle the spatula underneath every after about a minute or so just to ensure the patty isn’t sticking. But make sure to be very gentle!
note: It is very important to keep the skillet well greased so that the patty does not stick. Also, if your yogurt is on the runny side, then use less water….if you already added water and your mix is too runny, add a little bit more flour.
- Just omit yogurt and feta and add extra water in batter.
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
- Totally gluten free!
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- For kappa body types, add 1/2 teaspoon more, freshly grated jalapeño and ginger. And for vata body types, serve with cooked vegetables, rather than with a salad.