Like I mentioned a few posts ago….my husband and I love our smoothies on the road. This a great thing to pack for road trips…a nutritious, filling, tasty, fast and definitely cost-effective alternative to eating out for breakfast or a snack when you’re on the go…
All you need is a hand blender, can opener, some kind of milk, a protein powder, fruit, a little bit of a nut butter…and two wide-mouthed mason jars. The mason jars are great because they have wide enough mouths to blend directly in the jar and they have lids so that you can make them the night before or in the morning and have them later with no problem for figuring out how to store without leaking.
I use canned coconut milk so that takes away the need for needing refrigeration. I prefer the light coconut milk, but some prefer regular…you can of course use regular milk, almond milk, rice milk…whatever you like.
As for the protein powder options…my husband and I like Hemp Seed Protein Powder (which Trader Joe’s has a decent one you can try), but there are many options on the market these days. My friend Dawnell Kent who is a personal trainer here in Antioch, CA suggests staying away from whey or soy based powders because so many people have allergies to these ingredients. Dawnell suggests using a brand called Arbonne that has a pea/ cranberry seed based powder and that has a lot of other really great vitamins and minerals in it….for more info you can click here and I’ll send you Dawnell’s contact info.
And lastly, if you’re traveling in areas where there are farms, farm stands or farmer’s markets….you can buy fresh fruit daily….that’s what we like doing :)…it’s fun and usually tastes extra sweet.
Smoothies (2, 12 oz jars)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 cup fruit ( I prefer strawberries and blueberries, but all berries, bananas, mangoes and peaches work really great, too).
- Protein Powder (I like vanilla–just use however many scoops it says for two servings worth)
- 2 teaspoons nut butter (almond or peanut butter)
DIRECTIONS for cooking
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth*.
* When traveling, divide all ingredients into two 12 oz mason jars, then blend with hand mixer. Keep in cool place until you are able to drink and enjoy!
- Totally vegan!
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
- Totally gluten-free!
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- Use fruit that is best for your bodies constitution. Click here to see the Ayurvedic Institute’s complete list of what foods that are computable with different body types.