I LOVE these rice patties….if you’ve got leftover rice from the night before, this makes for a quick meal the next day…spiced with ginger, green chillies, turmeric and other goodies, it pairs deliciously with my favorite Shaved Fennel & Zuchinni Salad….perfect way to spice up a date night dinner.
Rice Patties (4 ppl)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1-1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- 2 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño, finely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tomatoes, grated into sauce
- optional: 1/2 cup chopped fenugreek leaves
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoon salt (salt to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon asafeteida
- 1 teaspoon, eno or 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
DIRECTIONS for cooking
- In a large bowl, place garbanzo bean flour, yogurt and water, and beat until smooth.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, asafetida, salt, cilantro, tomato sauce and mix until combined.
- Then, add fresh spinach, fenugreek leaves, cilantro and mix again.
- Add cooked rice and mix again thoroughly.
- Lastly, add eno and stir one more time.
- Place a non-stick, medium size skillet on medium heat and place 1 teaspoon of oil on pan.
- When oil is heated, place 1/2 cup mixture on skillet, flatten out patty a little, if necessary.
- BE PATIENT and allow to cook 3-4 minutes on each side. I like to wiggle the spatula underneath every so often just to ensure the patty isn’t sticking, but make sure to be very gentle.
note: It is very important to keep the skillet well greased so that the patty does not stick.
- Just omit yogurt and add extra water in batter.
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
- Totally gluten free!
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- For kappa body types, add 1/2 teaspoon more, freshly grated jalapeño and ginger. For pitta people, use 2 teaspoons of lime juice instead of tomato sauce. And for vata body types, serve with cooked vegetables, rather than with a salad.