Who doesn’t LOVE a good brunch…sleeping in, followed by good food, good family/ friends, good conversation…and then lingering over another cup of tea/ coffee that can nicely take you into a lazy afternoon…it’s LOVELY.
Making a traditional brunch can be tricky since a varied menu often calls for a lot of egg based dishes, bacon and other non-vegetarian ingredients….however, these days there are so many options for substitutes…that it makes the once impossible, possible. EggLESS quiche, eggLESS french toast and now eggLESS benedict….enjoy!
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika for marinate, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika for sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 English muffins, toasted (or 8 slices of toast)
- 8 slices of tomato
- garnish with a touch of chopped parsley or cilantro
- optional: sliced avocados always taste good!
DIRECTIONS for marinating
Marinate tofu: ideally over night, but if it’s not possible, than at least for 1 hour.
- Drain the tofu, cut it into 8 slices, and arrange it in a single layer in an oiled 9″x13″ baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and olive oil and pour the mixture over the tofu.
DIRECTIONS for cooking
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bake the marinated tofu for 30 minutes, basting it occasionally and turning it over after 15 minutes. Pour off any excess liquid and bake the tofu for a few more minutes-until it is brown and crispy.
- To make the hollandaise sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the sour cream, paprika, nutmeg, cayenne, and lemon juice. Make sure that the mixture is heated through but don’t allow it to boil.
- Top each English muffin half or slice of toast with a slice of tofu, tomato, and a generous spoonful of hollandaise sauce. Garnish with a touch of chopped parsley or cilantro. Serve immediately.
- You can substitute the butter with Earth Balance and the sour cream with a non-dairy sour cream (Tofutti has one).
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
- Substitute english muffins with any gluten free bread you usually eat…or you could make and toast GF Cornbread from scratch!
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- The pinch of cayenne to the sauce will help Kapha body types with digesting the dairy .