Mediterranean Herbed Cornbread with Black Lava Salt (9 pieces)
Corn bread is not only easy to make, but you can make so many variations of it deepening on what you have in your fridge or what you’re serving it with…chili, soup, toasted and spread with butter and jam in the morning…your options are endless!
- 1 cup white or yellow corn meal.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I like to use agave or maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg replacer eggs, beaten until nice and foamy
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup red peppers, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon mixed dry herbs (I used oregano, rosemary, marjoram, thyme and fennel seed. Use twice as much if you’re using fresh herbs)
- 1 jalapeno, cut into 9 thin rounds
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon black lava salt (to garnish on top)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, mixed herbs, black pepper and Himalayan salt in medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, oil and egg replacer eggs in small bowl; mix well. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until blended. Fold in corn and red peppers. Pour into prepared pan. Place jalapeno rounds on top so when you cut, each piece has a round on top. Sprinkle with black lava salt.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
- Recipe may be doubled. Use greased 13×9-inch baking pan; bake as above. For muffins, batter into 10 to 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes.
- To substitute the buttermilk: add 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup almond or coconut milk. Let sit for 10-15 minutes and then use in recipe as is.
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
- This recipe is really easy to make gluten-free! Just substitute the all-purpose flour with your favorite Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour. I personally like Bob’s Red Mill’s version. They use Bette Hagman’s AMAZING gluten-free flour recipe…which bakes and replaces regular flour amazingly well.
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- Add 1 tsp ground jalapeno to enkindl your agni (your digestion fire) and help you with your digestion.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to the batter for a vibrant yellow color, as well as to help with digestion and balancing of blood sugar. Turmeric is an amazing spice that has a tremendous amount of medicinal healing properties to it. My motto is, the more turmeric you can get in your diet the better!