summer Caprese Panini.
summer CAPRESE panini.
Fresh basil, Buffalo mozzarella and vine-ripened tomoatoes….how on earth can you go wrong with a combination like that :).
Because of my gluten allergy I’ve cut out most gluten from my diet….but if I make it to the health food store and find a new Gluten Free bread to try or every now and then if I find a hearty multi-grain bread that has more than just wheat flour in it then I will indulge :).
Panini’s make for a fast, tasty and super fresh summer meal….I like to serve mine with a side of soup or salad.
INGREDIENTS ( 2 sandwiches)
- 4 slices multi-grain bread
- Olive oil for brushing
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 3 tomato slices
- 1 teaspoon. red wine vinegar or your favorite Italian Dressing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat an electric panini maker according to the instructions or heat griddle on the stove.
- Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil. Lay the slices, oiled side down, on a clean work surface. Spread the top of each slice with 1 teaspoon mayonnaise. Place the cheese on one slice and top with the tomato slices. Drizzle with red wine vinegar/ Italian Dressing and season with salt and pepper. Top with the basil leaves, then with the other bread slice, oiled side up.
- Place the sandwich on the preheated panini maker (or griddle on stove) and cook until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. For sandwiches made on the stove, after about 2 minutes, make sure to flip and allow to cook on other side for about the same amount of time.
- Transfer the sandwich to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve immediately.
- Replace cheese with a Vegan mozzarella
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
- If you use gluten-free bread, then it’s totally gluten-free!
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- Pitta constitutions might want to lessen the amount of tomatoes.
- Kapha constitutions might want to add some spice (ground jalapeno, red chili flakes, etc) to help digest the cheese.
- Vata constitutions–enjoy! Skip the salad and serve with soup or something warm.